Does your compressor make a hellacious noise upon start-up?
Do your lights dim every time your unit turns on ?
Adding a Hard Start Assist to your system can erase those problems and add at least 3-5 years to the lifespan of your compressor. That’s not even the best part, the best part is you can install it yourself for under $50.
What is a Hard Start Assist?
A Hard Start Assist stores energy inside it’s capacitor and when the unit turns on it uses that energy to aid the compressor upon start-up. After start-up the Hard Start Assist then uses the power from the unit to recharge itself so it’s ready to help again on the next heating or cooling cycle.
1-3 Ton Kit 3.5-5 Ton Kit
Estimated Job Time : 20-25 min.
Tools And Equipment Needed: Drill or Nut Driver, Hard Start Kit, Hardware
- Turn Off The Power- At the main breaker and disconnect box.
- Open Electrical Panel- On the outdoor unit remove the screws to the electrical panel.
- Attach Both Wires To Capacitor- Attach both wires to the capacitor. One wire to the HERM and one to the C (common). It does not matter which wire goes to which.
- Mount Hardware- Attach the Hard Start kit with the screw and zip ties included in kit and put the panel back on.
- Restore Power- Turn power back on at the breaker panel and disconnect box.
Installing A Capacitor And A Hard Start Kit